Five ways optimists think and act differently!
For anyone either in business for themselves or who works for someone else there are obviously many challenges that arise on a daily basis.
One of the keys, therefore, is to stay focused and maintain as optimistic and positive frame of mind as possible. Of course, as most of us are painfully aware, unfortunately at times that can be easier said than done!
As a guide, from the website Lifehack these are the ‘5 Things Optimists Do Differently’.
1. Optimists know that you don’t necessarily need to achieve something in order to be truly happy.
Happiness comes from within. It’s a conscious decision that you need to make, whether or not things are going the way you want them to.
If you provide a condition to your happiness, like you’ll only be happy if you’re able to achieve something, then what happens if that condition isn’t met?
Success isn’t a guaranteed factor. If you equate happiness with success, you may be happy, but this happiness stops the minute you start failing.
Give yourself the power to be committed to being happy by adapting a grateful outlook in life.
2. They avoid negative people and refrain from encountering bad vibes.
Optimists are well aware that being negative and being positive are both contagious. So, for them to create an optimistic environment, they stay away from grouchy people who always complain.
Instead, they nourish relationships with emotionally supportive and equally optimistic people. They know that life is too short to spend with people who don’t really value them, so they choose to spend it with people who do realize their worth.
3. Optimists respect themselves and their time.
In a way, optimistic people are like wild and brave souls–they are confident that they don’t need the approval of anyone else in order to live their lives. Positive people know that people will always judge them with whatever they do, so why bother pleasing people when it’s obvious that you can never please everyone every single time?
Optimists even have the courage and the confidence to say no to things that don’t really matter to them. They’re not pressured into doing something that they don’t really like, and they’re free to pursue their passion accordingly.
4. Optimists are resourceful people.
Successful entrepreneurs and optimists are both innovative and creative individuals. They know that they’re never going to have everything that they need, so they make do with what they have instead.
– Steve Jobs didn’t wallow in fear when he didn’t have enough money to fund his startup: he sold his only means of transportation, his VW Microbus, to finance it.
– Walt Disney didn’t go into severe depression when he was told that Mickey Mouse is a “giant mouse on the screen that would terrify women”; he pushed through and look at how famous and well-loved Mickey is today.
– Donald Trump was bankrupt four times (in 1991, 1992, 2004 and 2009) but his resourcefulness and innovation gave him a $2.7 billion net worth today.
5. They know that life is not fair–and they’re okay with that.
Most people feel grumpy, frustrated or disappointed because they expect life to be fair for everyone.
Why does Justin Bieber have a lot of haters? Because a lot of people don’t like the fact that he gets millions just by performing and doing his hair flips regularly.
Why are there a lot of complainers all over the world? Because they feel that they’re self-entitled to everything that their neighbors have.
Why are there crime scenes? Because people feel like they’re not given equal treatment (such as equal money with the rest of the society), they should just go ahead and make things equal. By taking the matter into their own hands, they commit crimes instead.
Optimists are not like these people. They know that life is never going to be easy–it’s never fair and it’s never predictable. In fact, they expect life to be unfair and unpredictable most of the time! They accept the fact that their friends may be given more money, that some celebrities are given more fame, and that some of their loved ones are more successful in terms of romance.
And you know what?
They’re okay with that.